Monday, September 14, 2009

VMAs: Seeing Minis & Metallics

I've discovered that the blog has gotten to be more focused on wedding stuff lately and that I needed to switch it up. Plus, some readers may not be 100% interested in all that, so here I go for a fashion entry:

Okay okay okay so we have all heard by now the drama that happened at the VMAs. Some of the planned and not-so-planned performances of the artists, the grande entrances (cinderella, fire truck, Kermit), who got which award, and the fashion. Who wore who? Many of these outfits are surely not daddy-approved. But with that said, the VMAs are popular for having more daring, short, flashy looks.

There were no doubt some double-takes, some "what was she thinking?!"s and definite trends. Let's dig in, shall we?

Plenty of short dresses:
Beyoncé on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.
Almost a winner of mine, Beyonce wore a Roberto Cavalli little bright red sexy pocketed dress and took quite the plunge.

Glitz:
Katy Perry on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.Kristin Cavallari of MTV's 'The Hills' on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.
Katy Perry, Kristin Cavallari, Leighton Meester, and Taylor Swift sparkled in their silver metallic dresses. Perry's even had spikes built in, ready for combat (she should have gone up against Kanye). LOVED Taylor's gown. Leighton, hot dress, however, hair and make-up looked like it was done the night before with a splash of hangover. Cavallari in vintage. Meester in Christian Cota. Swift in Kaufman Franco.

Uh-oh:

Pink and Shakira both in Balmain leather dress. Not a usual fan of Pink, but I like her look better. Maybe Shakira should have pulled the hair back, it is taking away from all of the detail in the black mini. They embraced it, however.

Close, but no cigar:
Lauren Conrad of MTV's 'The Hills' on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.
Close: I guess Lauren Conrad is playing it safe here, short dress nonetheless.
But, no cigar: Good dress to attend a dinner, but not an awards show targeted to Generations Y and Z.

Close: Solange in a sexy, traditional one-armed LBD with a studded clutch.
But no cigar: I like the ribboning addition, however, Solange looks like she's heading to the front lines packed full of ammunition. Also, the pink nails are good, the pink lips, not so good. Is she branding the next Military Barbie? Good thing I'm, sadly, at 22, a Barbie fan! :-)

ODDLY...I LOVE:
Lo Bosworth of MTV's 'The Hills' on the red carpet at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.
Lo Bosworth. First of all..she is my favorite "MTV Celeb." Some would say she grabbed granny's drapes and took it to the seamstress, but the LBD canvas topped with an ivory damask, I just love..

BLUE RIBBON:

Whitney Port in Christopher Kane.
Whitney Port is almost always ahead of our game. Yet another LBD, but this one is extraordinary. The hemwork is perfect. She, like Beyonce and many others last night, sport the plunge...in fact...maybe 3M or Scotch has a tape in Beta currently? WP dumbs down the short dress with a sheer overlay, this lengthens her body and gives an illusion of hiding skin.

Hope you enjoyed my VMA Fashion wrap-up. Agree with me on anything, heck, disagree? Let me know about it! I'd love to hear who you thought looked best!!


All photos by: Getty Images, Wire Images, Zuma Images, and mtv.com

2 comments:

  1. I loved all the image updates since I missed the VMA's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the celeb style =)

    stop by our fashion blog, we hope you love it!

    xx .sabo skirt.

    www.saboskirt.blogspot.com
    www.saboskirt.blogspot.com
    www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete