Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September Reading List


I've decided to create a reading list for myself and set a deadline for my goal for some self-determination. So here we are:

(No judging by my number one!)

1. Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer
EclipseThe reason why this is on my list is because it is what I'm reading right now...and it's taken quite some time. I am a fan of the Twilight Series, however, I am no fan of what it has become. I read the first and second, before the first movie and obviously (I say obvious because this is usually a trend of book -> movie) the book was a whole lot better. The fourth one probably won't be on my list for a couple of years. I definitely want to read the fourth before that movie comes out, but it's teeny-bopper audience has made it pricey. Stephenie Meyer is amazing at creating characters, illustrating the chapters and each romantic scenario. Many have said that these books have no "literary value." I say that they clearly have not read it. It was meant to be a goth romantic novel, with a Romeo & Juliet storyline. The vampires and the werewolves... the Montagues and the Capulets...with Bella stuck in the middle. Yes, this is an easy read, but us 20-something year olds and college students that do read it enjoy it that way, a break from the textbooks and everyday chaos. Does every girl truly want an Edward? No, depends on the girl. But...he is quite dreamy. :-)

2. Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq - Steve Fainaru
blog post photo
I wish that this was not on my list. I wish that this had not been on my list for how long it has been already.

Author Steve Fainaru traveled among private security contractors in Iraq. One of them, was a friend of mine. These men were privately hired (meaning not paid by the U.S. Government) to carry out jobs that the military can't...or won't do. Unfortunately, this means that they received less protection and less any other "treatment" you may assume that our military receives. The book begins by Steve introducing Jon Cote, a University of Florida student who needed extra money to pay for school, so decided to take time off. An ex-member of the ARMY, he knew the cash would be fast and then he could get back to his education. Jon hung with Steve and reminisced on his days of living in the fraternity house, cooking meals with his best girl-friends, and going to the NCAA Basketball National Championship Game as a winning Florida Gator. This will be no easy read for me. It was a pleasure and all-out funfest knowing Cote. Every minute spent with him was a blast, he was always in the best spirit and that radiated off each person he became close with.

When trying to find a picture, I found Fainaru's website which includes a brief blog about the book. Steve speaks about going to Cote's candlelight vigil. I'm taking a moment to reflect on some great times we had.


He was an amazing asset to this country. You probably can't tell, but the middle picture is him holding up me and two of my best friends in his arms. That's some muscle!

September's list is short, but I need to gauge how many I will be able to read each month.

Please let me know of any reading suggestions, reviews, etcetera!!


No comments:

Post a Comment